Lately, I’ve been on a mission to find more kid-friendly recipes my daughter will eat. She’s generally been a good eater, but it seems like she’s starting to grow tired of certain basics that I’ve always been able to get her to eat. I recently came across a recipe for a bacon macaroni & cheese. Although it’s something I’d like to cook up for myself, I changed the recipe to one that was just plain and without bacon. She REALLY, REALLY loved this recipe, so I decided to share it with you!
- 1 box (1 lb) elbow macaroni
- 1 bag of gourmet croutons, crushed (ahead of time)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Use a non-stick cooking spray to coat a broiler-safe cooking dish and set aside.
- Boil pasta in pot of lightly salted water, drain and set aside.
- Pour milk into saucepan and whisk in flour, salt, pepper, butter, and onion flakes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the 3 cheeses together. Add milk mixture into the bowl and whisk together with cheeses until all are mixed well.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta in the pasta pot and mix well. Transfer to the broiler-safe cooking dish and top with a layer of crushed croutons.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and then increase oven temperature and broil for 3 minutes, until the top is slightly browned. Remove from oven and cool prior to serving.
Such an easy prep!I see this pic and it makes me want to go eat more NOW!What is YOUR favorite comfort food?