Science and Hockey fans alike now have something new to be excited about….The LA Kings Science of Hockey exhibit is now open at Discovery Cube Los Angeles (DCLA). Guests will be immersed in one of the most technically advanced sports-themed exhibits featuring the Stanley-Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings. This permanent attraction offers interactive learning focused on the science, math, and skills behind the thrilling sport of hockey.
LA Kings’ Player Tyler Toffoli Helps Cut the Ribbon for the LA Kings Science of Hockey exhibit at DCLA
Designed and produced by BaAM Productions, the new, second-floor Science of Hockey exhibit is one of more than a dozen highly interactive, science-based attractions now featured on the 2.5-acre site of DCLA in the Hansen Dam Recreational Area. According to Kafi D. Blumenfield, DCLA Executive Director, the Science of Hockey provides guests with an up-close look at the sport of hockey and the team while discovering the fascinating science behind the game.
DCLA partnered with the Kings Care Foundation and BaAm Productions to ensure the exhibit was as interactive and realistic as possible. Visitors enter the exhibit through a replica of the iconic LA Kings Player Tunnel at STAPLES Center and find hands-on exhibits that provide exclusive access to the sport and the team.
Visitors will enjoy the following exhibits and displays:
- You Be the Goalie / You Be the Shooter – Participants in this unique, in-the-game experience don a blocker and glove to try and stop pucks shot from virtual versions of LA Kings players Dustin Brown, Drew Doughty and Jeff Carter. If they choose to turn the tables, and take shots on LA Kings goalie Jonathan Quick in “You be the Shooter,” they are rewarded with instant speed and accuracy readings.
- Penalty Box – Fans can help get an LA Kings player out of the penalty box and back on the ice by correctly answering a series of questions about the math and science surrounding the sport.
- Zamboni Test Drive – Occupying the center of the Science of Hockey is a replica Zamboni offering guests the once-in-a-lifetime chance to climb aboard, turn the auger and get the feel of driving this iconic, ice-resurfacing machine. A scale replica of the STAPLES Center scoreboard overhead provides the perfect photo opportunity.
- Suit Yourself – NHL hopefuls can use interactive touch screens to design their very own jerseys and then capture and add their own likeness before the highly personalized image is displayed on a large screen.
- Equipment Lab – An interactive display allows guests to technically compare an old uniform and equipment to the modern, streamlined uniforms of today. Meanwhile, a display wall of equipment cut in cross-section and a series of videos demonstrate the equipment in action, force and power exchange dynamics, STOP program and safety tips.
- Healthy Locker Room – Guests learn about training and nutrition by playing interactive games in this unique, technically advanced replica of the LA Kings locker room. Hands-on participatory consoles at each players’ locker provide memorable opportunities for individual and group play and discovery.
- Skater Challenge – Intrepid skaters can follow Dustin Brown or LA Kings mascot Bailey around the ice to test their skating ability and speed. The faster the visitor skates, the faster the on-screen LA Kings player or mascot moves.
- LA Kings Story – The culmination of the Science of Hockey experience is the LA Kings Story featuring great moments in LA Kings history, with storytelling supported by compelling, larger-than-life images, artifacts and video. A photo opportunity will allow fans to picture themselves holding the Stanley Cup.
The Science of Hockey is included in general admission to DCLA. Tickets to DCLA can be bought online at http://www.discoverycube.org/la/ or on campus. General admission prices are as follows: adult ($16.95), senior ($12.95), and children 3-14 ($12.95). Now through June 30th, there is special admission pricing of just $10 for everyone.
Connect with Discovery Cube LA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!