I’d been dreaming about attending Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party for the past few years, ever since I learned it even existed, I actually put it on my Disney Bucket List a few years ago. Our family lives very close to the Disneyland Resort, so we don’t have a specially ticketed party event for the holidays, just one for Halloween Time. I can’t think of any better way to kick off Thanksgiving week than with a trip to Walt Disney World and ours started off with our first night being THE most magical night at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. It was like a Disney dream coming true! If you aren’t familiar with Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, it’s a specially ticketed event, that’s held on select nights during November and December at Magic Kingdom Park in Walt Disney World. There are several exclusive offerings for Guests in attendance at the party that are not to be missed, including Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade & other exclusive entertainment, “Holiday Wishes” fireworks, complimentary treat stops throughout the Park, rare character experiences and more. I want to share all about our Magical time at the Party with you because there is still plenty of time for you to grab a ticket for one of the remaining 2018 Party dates.
2018 Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Dates are as follows:
- November 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16, 25, 27, 29, & 30
- December 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20 & 21
Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party officially starts at 7 pm and goes until 12 am. If you have a party ticket, you can actually enter Magic Kingdom Park starting at 4 p.m. I highly recommend getting there by 3:30 p.m. to get through the security bag check line and into the park right by 4 pm, so you can take advantage of those extra hours. It’s a great time to take some pictures in the daylight and also to grab a bite to eat, because you won’t want to take time out of the Party to stop for dinner.
Wristbands and Party Guides
As you enter the Main Gate, you’ll see signs directing you to the party wristbands. The Cast Members are dressed in special costumes and will put a special wristband on you which will later on indicate you are there for the party, when the regular Magic Kingdom hours end at 6 pm. This is also where you can grab an official Party Guide.
“Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade”
One of the biggest highlights of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is getting to watch “Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade”.The parade features a merry procession of everyone’s favorite Disney characters, gingerbread men, marching toy soldiers and even Santa. During the party, guests can watch the parade at either 8:30 or 11 p.m. Insider tip: The 2nd parade is far-less crowded than the first one, if you plan to stay late at the Party. Holiday Treat Stop Locations
One of our family’s favorite parts about Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party were the treat locations that are included in the price of your ticket! Yep! There are complimentary treats available during the party wherever you see the giant, inflatable candy cane sticks and all of the locations stay open until 12 am. Here are the 2018 offerings:
- Snowman Soft Pretzel & Sno-Cone – Tortuga Tavern
- Ginger Molasses Cookie & Eggnog – Liberty Square Ticket Office
- A variety of holiday favorites – Pinocchio Village Haus
- Chilled Apple Cider & DOVE Chocolate – The Friar’s Nook
- Peppermint Crunch Cookie – Storybook Circus Snacks
- Snickerdoodle Cookie & Hot Chocolate – Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe
- Chocolate Chip Cookie & Sno-Cone – Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies
Allergy-friendly and alternative healthy options are available at the Party upon request. Menus and offerings are subject to change and availability.
Seasonal Specialty Foods
In addition to all of the special holiday treats at the treat locations, there are also many jolly, holly dishes created exclusively for the season, available for purchase throughout the Park including the Sugar Rush Jumbo Cupcake & the Mickey Ornament Gingerbread Cookie (both available at Main Street Bakery) and the Vanellope Eclair (Gaston’s Tavern).
“Holiday Wishes” Fireworks
If you haven’t had the chance to watch “Holiday Wishes” light up the sky in Magic Kingdom, it’s a must-do. The entire sky lights up high above Cinderella Castle with this holiday fireworks spectacular. It’s absolutely beautiful and our family is hoping to go back and watch them again one day.Other Entertainment Options & Times During the Party
- Mickey’s Most Merriest Celebration (Castle Forecourt Stage) – 7:40, 9:25, 10:30 & 11:55
- A Frozen Holiday Wish (Castle Forecourt Stage) – 8:15
- A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas (Rockettower Plaza Stage) – 7:45, 8:35, 9:25, 10:45 & 11:35.
- The Edge Effect (Rockettower Plaza Stage) – 8:10, 9:00, 10:20 & 11;10
- Club Tinsel (Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe) – 7:00 – 12 am
- Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jingle Jam (Storybook Circus) – 7:00 pm – 12:00 am
Special Character Experiences
Each year at the Party, there are several exclusive character experiences to find throughout the Park, some include rare characters that aren’t spotted very often. Lines can have a significant wait time but if you plan ahead you can fit many of these character experiences into your night. To locate the special character experiences, look for the Mickey heads on the Party Guide map or check for more details on the My Disney Experience mobile app.
There are usually PhotoPass photographers on hand to take your photos at these locations, which is so convenient for downloading off the app and sharing on your social media channels. You’re also allowed to use your own cell phones and cameras for photos but as a courtesy to other Guests waiting in line behind you, have your equipment ready.
Exclusive Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Event Merchandise
During Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, Guests have the opportunity to purchase festive event keepsakes at select locations including apparel, ornaments, an event trading pin and a MagicBand. The event merchandise is only available to Party Guests with a valid wristband and is available while supplies last.
Attractions Open During the Party
A majority of the Park’s regular attractions are open during Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. Although there are no FastPasses available during the actual party, we found that the lines for attractions were significantly lower during the Party. Be sure to take a ride on the Jingle Cruise, which is exclusive to Magic Kingdom during the Holidays. For a complete list of the attractions operating during the Party, please check the official Party Guide and/or the app.
Here’s a short video recap of our night at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party:
Know Before You Go
I have a couple of “insider tips” for you after experiencing the party myself, although I will fully admit that I bet attending the party on more than one might would probably allow you to discover even more!
- Definitely Arrive Early – One of my biggest recommendations is to play ahead and arrive early to the Party. Since guests are allowed to enter Magic Kingdom with their party ticket starting at 4 pm, why not get there and take advantage of those 3 extra hours? Plus, I find that it’s a great time to get some photos while there’s still some sunlight. It’s also a good time to grab some dinner so you don’t have to stop and do that during the official party hours, because that 5 hours goes by quickly!
- Make sure you have the Disney Parks Mobile app downloaded and set to go before you get there. The app is very handy during the party to do things like check attraction wait times, mobile order food and/or drinks, locate the special character meet & greets, find entertainment times and locations and more.
- Tell a Cast Member at the treat stops if you have any allergies or dietary sensitivities. Disney is so good about these kinds of situations and if any of the treat stops have something that might affect you and/or a family member in a negative way, Disney has alternative treats they can offer you. They really think of everything!
- Read through the Party Guide as soon as you get one and make a plan for the night. It might seem silly but you’ll accomplish far more by mapping out your night at the party in advance.
- Consider adding on the Holiday Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party during the Party- Although we didn’t do this, we have experienced a Fireworks Dessert Party during regular park house and it was magical. It also allows you to have a great view of the fireworks, without having to camp out early, giving up some of your time to do other things.
- Watch the 2nd parade (if possible) – Many of the guests gather around to watch the first parade so if you are planning to stay at the party late, you’ll definitely have an easier time getting a great view to watch it.
- Dress in layers – This is something I wish we had thought of before attending. I was honestly expecting it to be very warm on the night we attended, because it usually is, but it was the exact opposite. Luckily we just went and purchased heavier Disney sweatshirts, but having some extra layers with us that night would have come in handy. Just plan for the weather.
- Wear comfy shoes – This is always a must for visiting any Disney park. There are still times I don’t even follow my own advice here and I always regret it.
- Purchase event merchandise early before it sells out. This was another one that I didn’t do and most of the items were sold out by the time we went and looked.
- Don’t forget a portable cell phone charger/battery pack – This is a must for me because I always take so many photos and videos wherever I go.
- Do seek out the Disney PhotoPass photographers – Throughout the Park there are special, festive photo opportunities available, which include Magic Shots where characters can appear in your photos when you locate them through the mobile app. At some of the locations, photographers also offer holly jolly photo props you can use.
- Don’t forget to stop and take it all in! – I think this is the most important tip of all. The Party will probably go by so fast so don’t forget to stop, from time to time, and just take it all in! It’s truly a magical experience and something that not all Disney fans have an opportunity to experience, so cherish every moment of it!
Our night out at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party was a truly magical one and I really hope to attend again next year! Have YOU been before? What was YOUR favorite part of the Party? Share with me in the comments.
For more information about Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, including ticket purchases, please visit HERE.