This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.
Golden West College’s Community Education Department is, once again, offering its annual summer 2018 College for Kids & Teens workshops with innovative programs including GWC’s Science Summer Camp, a brand new Junior Police Academy (hosted at the new Regional Criminal Justice Training Center), Star Wars: LEGO Galaxy stop motion animation and fundamental skill building reading, grammar and math workshops.
Here’s a complete list of College for Kids & Teens 2018 summer workshops:
GWC’s Science Summer Camp is a fun and exciting experience offered to students entering 4th – 8th grades. This week-long camp will include workshops designed with hands-on experiments and activities catered to each age group. Taught by GWC instructors, topics will include biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, astronomy and geology. This camp is sure to engage young minds and enhance understanding of many scientific topics.
- For students entering 4th – 5th Grades, there will be 5 meetings, Monday – Friday, August 13 – 17 / 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (Check-in at 8:45 am) The course fee is $250.
- For students entering 6th – 8th Grades, there will be 5 meetings, Monday – Friday, August 13 – 17 / 1:00 – 4:00 pm (Check-in at 12:45 am). The course fee is $250.
The Golden West Junior Police Academy is a new summer program designed to introduce students in grades 6th through 8th to the exciting world of the American Police Service. Students will be mentored by active duty police, including Lieutenant Willie Triplett II of the Anaheim Police Dept., and criminal justice system professionals while receiving classroom instruction in physical fitness, crime scene investigation, gangs, narcotics, K-9 and more. Participants will run agility courses, search for suspects in our state-of-the-art scenario village and more! Graduates will leave with a new appreciation for serving others and a renewed sense of personal discipline.
- For students entering 6th – 8th Grades, there will be 5 meetings, Monday – Friday, July 30 – August 3 / 8:00 – 11:00 am (Check-in at 7:45 am). The course fee is $250.
Star Wars: LEGO Galaxy Stop Motion Animation (NEW) – Take your imagination to a galaxy far, far away and make a movie in this exciting LEGO workshop. We’ll supply the LEGOs, or you can bring in your own Star Wars LEGO mini figures to cast in your very own movie! The ideas will be yours, the sets will be built by you, and you will operate the provided iPods to bring your masterpiece to the screen. This workshop, taught by Movies by Kids, is the ultimate chance to bring your creations to life using the art of stop motion animation! This course is for students ages 7 – 13 and will have 5 meetings, Monday – Friday, July 16 – 20 / 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. The course fee is $215. (There will be a $25 material fee, payable to the presenter at the first meeting.)
Basic Makeup Concepts – Learn “hands-on” essential principles of makeup application and an overview of skin care. Explore different foundations and proper techniques for your own skin type. Learn eye, cheek, and lip techniques along with proper placement. This course is taught by licensed cosmetologist, Evangelina Rosales. This course is for students ages 13 – 17. There will be 2 meetings, Mondays, July 9 and 16 / 4:30 – 7:30 pm. The course fee is $49. Please bring a new eyeliner and new mascara to the first meeting.
Hawaiian Hula Into Self Defense – Awareness for Women & Teens – Participants will dance converting the Hawaiian Hula into self-defense techniques, developing confidence through increased awareness, preparedness, courage and value for self. Learn skills for real-life application against a push, choke, hair pull, shirt and wrist grab, rape prevention, and more. Mother and daughter teams welcomed – no experience necessary. This course is taught by Michelle Manu, a senior black belt in martial arts with over 30 years of training. This course is for both Teen Girls & Adult Women. There will be 1 meeting, held
Saturday, July 14 / 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. The course fee is $65 and $49 for each additional participant registering at the same time.
Balloon Twisting 101 – Learn the basic skills of balloon art in this interactive hands-on balloon twisting workshop. Balloon twisting skills will open the door to exciting event entertainment opportunities, including family birthday parties, social events, and fun at home. This course is taught by balloon artist Malinda Newman. This course is for students ages 10 – 14. There are 2 classes offered with 2 meetings each.
- Tuesdays and Thursday, June 26 and 28 / 1:30 – 3:30 pm
- Tuesdays and Thursday, August 7 and 9 / 1:30 – 3:30 pm
The course fee is $59. (A $10 material fee is payable to the presenter on the first meeting)
Reading Skills Programs
Help your child (4 yrs – entering 11th graders) develop the reading skills needed to succeed in school and build confidence! Your child will master basic phonics skills, develop fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, study skills and reading speed. This program is taught by the Institute of Reading Development whose professional instructors have taught classes to over 40,000 students per year for over 40 years. Note there will be a material fee of approximately $34. For more info call (800) 964-8888.
- For students who are 4 years olds & Entering Kindergarten, there will be 5 meetings.
Saturdays, June 16 – July 14 / 9:00 – 10:00 am. The course fee is $269. Please note: An adult must attend with the child for the 4-yr olds and kindergarten age children.
- For students entering 1st Grade, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, June 16 – July 14 / 10:30 am – 12:15 pm. The course fee is $329.
- For students entering 2nd Grade, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, July 21 – Aug 18 / 9:00 – 10:45 am. The course fee is $329.
- For students entering 3rd Grade, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, June 16 – July 14 / 1:15 – 3:00 pm. The course fee is $329.
- For students entering 4th Grade, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, July 21 – Aug 18 / 11:15 am – 1:15 pm. The course fee is $329.
- For students entering 5th Grade, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, July 21 – Aug 18 / 11:15 am – 1:15 pm. The course fee is $329.
- For students entering 6th, 7th & 8th Grades, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, July 21 – Aug 18 / 2:15 – 4:15 pm. The course fee is $329.
- For students entering 9th, 10th & 11th Grades, there will be 5 meetings, Saturdays, July 17 – Aug 14 / 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. The course fee is $329.
Grammar Whiz– Enhance your child’s grammar skills in this exciting, “hands-on” workshop, covering the basic structural elements and methodologies of English grammar usage and writing. Class activities will include working on an interactive notebook as well as short videos, grammar jingles, games, and lecture.
- For students grades 6 – 8, there will be 6 meetings, Tuesday and Thursday, June 26 – July 17 / 9:30 – 11:00 am (Does not meet on 7/5). The course fee is $95. This workshop is Common Core Aligned
Math Whiz– Designed for students in 6th to 8th grade, this math skills workshop will enhance your child’s skills by reviewing key concepts and reinforcing pre-algebra content. In a challenging, yet fun environment, students will engage in games, activities, and contests to reinforce concepts including: integer operations, fraction operations, exponents, and order of operations.
- For students grades 6 – 8, there will be 6 meetings, Tuesday and Thursday, June 26 – July 17 / 11:15am – 12.:45pm. (Does not meet on 7/5). The course fee is $95. This workshop is Common Core Aligned
Kids & Money – This workshop will help your children learn important skills to be financially successful in life. They will gain knowledge of the basic history of money, fundamental skills of budgeting, saving and investing, balancing a checkbook, credit card debt, interest rates and much more! Give your child the gift of financial power to handle their money responsibly. This course is taught by financial industry veteran Barbie Stowell.
- For students ages 12 – 16, there will be 2 meetings, Tuesday & Wednesday June 26 & 27 / 10am – 12pm. The course fee is $49.
For more information about any of these programs, please call the GWC Community Education office at 714-895-0800 (M-F, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm) or visit http://bit.ly/GWC2018CollegeforKidsTeens.
ABOUT GWC Community Education
Golden West College Community Education actively seeks opportunities to serve as an educational center for the local community. These services, which are self-supporting and fee-based, include educational, health and wellness, recreational, professional, personal enrichment, vocational and certificate programs. GWC Community Education programs are offered in a variety of instructional formats for a wide range of learning styles and skill levels, and are available during flexible hours to meet the needs of our community. The office is located on the southwest corner of the campus next to Public Safety (15744 Goldenwest St., Huntington Beach, CA 92647) and is open from Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. For more information, call 714-895-8944, or visit the website at http://gwccommunityservices.com/.
Photos are property of Golden West College and used with permission.