The OC Fair & Event Center invites families to Imaginology! Come explore the fun of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) activities April 24-26, 2015. This exciting, three-day event themed “Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead”! Imaginology is the perfect environment for curious children of all ages to discover the unlimited career opportunities available within the educational fields of science, engineering, technology and more. Local students are encouraged to explore the possibilities of the future as a result of learning through hands-on workshops and exhibits.
Family-friendly activities and competitions for Imaginology weekend include:
- Makeshops and Workshops: Children can participate in free, hands-on learning demonstrations in ceramics, painting, robotics, sculpting, sewing and other crafts. Local professionals and Imaginology staff lead the demonstrations and all necessary equipment and supplies are provided. Participants can take home any crafts or artwork they create.
- Youth Projects: Students will showcase their talents in digital media, fashion, photography, painting, cardboard engineering and woodworking. All competitions are free to enter and open to Orange County students only. The entry registration deadline is April 3. The youth project entries will be on display in Action Gallery South.
- Free Family & Group Contests: Family members and friends can team up at Imaginology to compete in two onsite contests to decorate the best sawhorse or scarecrow. On Saturday, April 25, teams can compete in the Scarecrow Contest and on Sunday, April 26, in the Sawhorse Contest for a chance to win $100 in either contest. It’s free to enter and basic materials (sawhorse, scarecrow, and some decorations) will be provided but teams are encouraged to bring their own decorations to make their entry unique. Visit ocfair.com/steam for details.
- Centennial Farm: Guests can check out animals and vegetable and fruit gardens plus enjoy free tractor rides, oxen team demonstrations, OC Beekeepers exhibit, blacksmithing, sheep-shearing demonstrations, radish seed planting and terrarium-making and seed mosaic activities.
- Gourmet Food Trucks and Local Fundraising Food Booths: Enjoy food trucks offering a variety of gourmet options near Livestock Area. Local youth groups will also be fundraising by selling hot dogs, pizza, beverages and a variety of lunch options.
- 4-H Competitions: Local youth are judged on their abilities to raise small livestock, their understanding of animal and veterinary sciences and their display projects on community service, aerospace, electricity and more. These educational displays will be in Action Gallery North and Livestock Area.
- Vital Link STEM + the Arts Career Showcase: Vital Link provides resources to help students discover and consider professional careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) with exciting competitive displays, workshops and competitions.
- Orange County Science & Engineering Fair: The 60th annual event hosts hands-on workshops and exhibits and through its annual competition encourages students to explore the physical and life sciences and fosters participation in the annual county-wide event.
- Home Builders Council (HBC) 26th Annual Design/Build Competition: Watch as future architects and builders compete to see who are the best young builders in Southern California (Saturday & Sunday only).
- More Free Activities: Exhibitors offering a variety of services and products, pretend and play activities like Pet Vet, Wild Science Activity Area, The Great Egg-Scape Exhibit and family-friendly entertainment.
- Fee-based Activities: Land & Bubble Rollers, laser tag, inflatable obstacle course, bounce house, slides and a butterfly exhibit.
Imaginology is open Friday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Admission is free for all three days and many of the hands-on activities are included. Parking is free on Friday and $7 on Saturday and Sunday. For more information, visit ocfair.com/steam.